Sunday, July 25, 2010

Another cooking adventure...

I will be the first to admit I am not a good cook. But I don't know why! I follow recipes! So my latest attempt for dinner tonight was chicken nuggets, seems simple enough. I got a new cookbook, Deceptively Delicious, by Jessica Seinfeld (Jerry's wife).


She teaches how to make purees out of vegetables and hide them in recipes your kids will eat. And since my youngest will not let a veggie enter his lips, I thought it was a brilliant idea. So I made sweet potato puree the other day, and first made little muffins. He loved them right out of the oven, but not later in the day, but all in all a success. So tonight I made chicken nuggets, which were coated in sweet potatoes, panko bread crumbs and other things. I followed the recipe but here is proof that somewhere along the way my non-cooking gene entered the picture.

This is what they were supposed to look like.


But this is how they turned out.


No one liked them. Not even me. I only made them tonight because Jason was eating out at a meeting. I don't try new recipes on him very often. He was nice enough not to laugh and turned on the fans while I opened the back door to let the smoke out from the burning bread crumbs. Luckily I also made good old Kraft macaroni, which normally Campbell won't eat either. But PROGRESS, he ate the mac, so I added a cube of sweet potatoes to it which made it creamy, and gave him some more. I was getting that sweet potato in him if it killed me, which the smoke inhalation almost did.

2 comments:

Scuba Girl said...

Hey Christy! Your post was funny, but you're being too down on yourself. You have to remember that these cookbooks have professional "food stylists" who make up several SEVERAL of the same recipe & take pictures of only the prettiest results. PLUS, I guarantee that it was a professional cook, not Mrs. Seinfeld, doing the cooking for the pictures.

So, relax; you're doing fine! Also, if you buy a box of chocolate-chocolate chip muffins, you can add things like finely shredded carrots and/or zucchini to the batter & you'll never find them in the muffins! You can do the same with spaghetti sauce (if your little guys will eat the sauce - mine didn't for a while). The shredded veggies break down beautifully, and the nutrition stays in!

CDJ said...

Cracking up. We've had several similar smokey suppers:) Isn't that book just CUTE?? Helpful...but more importantly fun to look at.
Thanks for the giggle:)

Random parenting thoughts today

I love it when I read scripture and a short passage or even a word jumps out at me and I have to camp out there awhile. Here's the verse...