Tuesday, April 21, 2009

One month later...

Let's see, Cooper's baseball team is 8-4, Cade is still bored, but turned 5 yesterday. Campbell is army crawling and putting everything in his mouth. Most nights I am conked out before Jason comes to bed. Our pastor resigned. Gearing up for summer, VBS, trying to figure out what to do with the long summer. Went and saw Thomas the Train in Dallas, on the coldest weekend of the year it seemed. Had a garage sale, made $300, not sure if it was worth the effort. But Dave Ramsey would be proud. Two months on a budget using envelope system. Yeah, I think those are the highlights.

Ok ladies, (and men, but I don't think men will understand this part) most of the time, I do not put myself down for stuff I don't get done as a mom. I see articles in magazines or Oprah where moms say they feel like failures, and think they are the only one, only to realize that most moms feel that way, and I usually don't understand that mentality. I usually let stuff go and tell myself that I am doing the best I can. But the past few weeks I have felt like I am hanging on by my fingernails, making mistakes, looking at piles of laundry and dishes and papers, and crashing in bed at night wondering what I did all day. We realized last night that I paid $55 to renew the registration on our car that we got rid of last summer. And I broke down and started crying, it was just the straw that broke me, feeling like I am an idiot. I also recognize that the last few months I have not been feeding myself spiritually or getting much from church because I'm not in a small group right now, so I know there is a connection. I know that when I am not feeding myself with the truth of how God sees me, then I see myself the way I think the world sees me, which isn't pretty. I need to do something, and I admit that. So say a little prayer for me if you think about it. Thanks.

Yes, our pastor resigned last week. He's been at our church for 22 years. We've only been there 2 1/2, so we aren't as attached as many of our church members are. We've known since Feb. so it wasn't a shock to us as it was to many. As usual, he is handling it with such responsibility and grace and respect for people. He is a good man. But it will cause stress, change always does. For our family personally its stressful because when Jason was younger, his pastor left, and when the new one came, he told the whole staff to leave so he could bring in his own people. Jason's dad didn't want to and eventually was fired. I don't think UBC would hire someone who would do that. But there is always the chance that Jason just wouldn't jive with the new pastor. We just have to take one day at a time. It could be a long time before we get a new one anyway. No reason to stress now.

Our pastor gave a great sermon the week before Easter that has stuck with me, which doesn't usually happen. He said we are all time travelers. We like to travel to the past, but instead of taking our friends thankfulness and joy, we take regret, anger, and unforgiveness. We like to travel to the future, but instead of taking hope and peace, we take anxiety and worry. Its ok to time travel if you take the right companions. But we should also really enjoy today. What time is it? Its now. Where are you? I am here. I guess that sums up my blog today. I need to stop thinking about the past few weeks as a failure, but look at it with thankfulness and look ahead with hope. And I need to not worry about the future for Jason or the church, but look ahead with peace and joy. Thank you Father for reminding me again of your faithfulness!

2 comments:

CDJ said...

Thank you for being so open and honest. It's refreshing.

I think the job we have is so mult-faceted. I remember one season - when I felt like I worked all day and accomplished nothing- it helped to focus on what I worked toward even if it was already "undone". I would speak to Philip in code at the end of the day: "The maid never showed up today, but the cook was here for a couple hours this morning and the tutor stayed all afternoon..." He was then aware of my efforts ('cause the house showed zero evidence) and could also focus his comments on what I HAD done and understand that there's no way everything is getting done every day.

Hang in there! You're a very good mom, and God is blessing your commitment. He speaks to you and you hear Him...and we are all blessed by your sharing.

the bowlin family said...

I love your honesty and your heart that you shared in this entry. I will be praying for you.

Love,
Steph :)

Random parenting thoughts today

I love it when I read scripture and a short passage or even a word jumps out at me and I have to camp out there awhile. Here's the verse...