Monday, February 08, 2010

Clean House

So we are having a kick off party for Cooper's little league baseball team this coming Saturday at our house. (Side note, in the 14 years I've known my husband, I have never seen him as excited as he was after he drafted this team. He is convinced they are going to win the championship. No pressure.) As soon as we decided 40 people are coming over, most of which I don't know, I went into panic mode trying to make a plan of how I am going to clean this house by Saturday in a manner worthy of having that many strangers over. Hospitality is not my spiritual gift. I'm not social, and I don't like the stress of having people over. But I don't want to be that way. So I made a mental plan of when to clean what, and then woke up with a migraine today, which took today off the schedule, so I'm already behind. But I've been thinking about why I get so stressed about having a clean house. Why do we care so much about that as women? I am wanting Jason to fix major things this week in the house, wanting to make a new wreath for the door, and major cleaning. Why can't I just do basic cleaning and picking up and leave it at that? I tell Jason its because I want my home to be welcoming and homey, but wouldn't a little dust make it more homey? Why do I care what people think about my house? Especially when there are people in Haiti who don't have a house to worry about! So pray for me this week that I don't stress about it, that I take a few minutes to pray for my attitude, and pray that God will give me wisdom about what to work on. I want people to see Him in my home, especially some of these people who I'm sure are not believers. If I worry too much about my house, will that come across to them that I'm materialistic or snobby? Oh, the constant battle of balance!

No comments:

Random parenting thoughts today

I love it when I read scripture and a short passage or even a word jumps out at me and I have to camp out there awhile. Here's the verse...