Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Book Review of "Dawn Comes Early"

Dawn Comes Early by Margaret Brownley is the first in her series "Brides of Last Chance Ranch" set on a cattle ranch in the Arizona territory. Kate Tenney, a unknown and frustrated novelist, decides to try her hand at ranching and answers a notice advertising for a ranch "heiress." If she can survive working for the current owner, the ranch will become hers, but the work is harder then she anticipated, and she wasn't looking to fall in love with a local man. In the end, she has to choose between becoming a land owner and a wife. While making that decision she learns much more about herself then she ever expected.

It took me a little bit to get into this story because it was more of a western then I had thought it would be, but once I got to know the characters and really was pulling for the character of Kate, I couldn't put it down. Brownley does a great job of describing the characters and surroundings and I really felt like I was working hard with Kate as she woke at the break of dawn to get to work. And I struggled with her as she makes a decision about her future. The ending actually surprised me but I realized it was the first in a series and I would love to read the next one!

I received this book from Book Sneeze in exchange for a truthful review and was not required to give it a positive one.

No comments:

Random parenting thoughts today

I love it when I read scripture and a short passage or even a word jumps out at me and I have to camp out there awhile. Here's the verse...