Monday, July 16, 2012

"Kisses From Katie"

I just finished reading Kisses from Katie, written by Katie Davis who lives in Uganda where she has adopted 13 daughters that she is raising on her own. She gave up her comfortable American life with a boyfriend and college to be obedient to the Lord and move to Uganda. She had no idea where the journey would take her, but I am so glad she chose to share it with her readers.

This is one of the best books I have read in a long time. I can't talk enough about how meaningful it was to me. Jason asked me if it was making me want to adopt, but that's not what I got out of it at all. Mostly I was convicted and encouraged about being a good mom. She describes each one of her daughters with such details about their personalities that it convicted me about spending more time with my three sons. She considers each mess she cleans up to be a blessing from the Lord. She still finds time outside of her home to minister to so many other people in the community and takes her daughters with her to show them how to be hands and feet of Christ. She says she is not a perfect mother, but her main goal is to teach her girls about Jesus both in word and deed. She gets so dirty, literally, as she parents and ministers to so many sick and messy people, but she never complains and considers each person she meets as an opportunity to be obedient to God. I am so selfish and spoiled. I want to live an adventure but am I willing to get that messy? Am I willing to sacrifice everything to be obedient to my Savior?  I don't know if I'm there yet. For the time being she has encouraged me to be a better mother. One step at a time.

Please read this book.

No comments:

Random parenting thoughts today

I love it when I read scripture and a short passage or even a word jumps out at me and I have to camp out there awhile. Here's the verse...