Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Updates...

Oh my goodness. All that has happened since my last post! Its slightly overwhelming. We had Christmas in Houston and then packed up. The boys went to my moms and then the packers came on the 27th, spent all day and didn't finish. We closed that day on the house, and were just so thankful that the selling process went so smoothly. The moving truck came the 28th and only by the grace of God, a "miracle" in their words, did everything fit on the truck. They came with the truck already half full of someone else's stuff and underestimated ours, so consequently, we were all praying for some crazy packing skills. The truck pulled away and we headed to dinner with some friends, which helped me not be emotional. The two of us slept on the floor in our bedroom, flashbacks of doing the same thing when we moved from Plano. We had sweet memories of that time together, but we realized this time, 7 years later, our bodies are older and the floor not quite as comfortable. Ouch. We cleaned the next day and headed out for Mississippi. I wish I had taken a picture of my van, packed with all those left over things that didn't go in the moving truck. We looked like we were living out of the car, lots of cleaning products.

We spent the week getting utilities turned on in our new house and then New Year's at my moms. And then we closed on our new house on the 4th! The moving truck showed up on the 5th and it was such a relief to see all of your earthly possessions that you haven't seen in a week show up. We registered the kids for school Monday and then took them in 12 degree weather to start their first day. And the serious unpacking began. I have decided, that just like childbirth, God helps you forget the bad parts of moving because you would never do it again. I don't remember being this overwhelmed the other times we have moved. I would empty box after box, and at the end of the day feel like I had done nothing. Very depressing. But day after day, progress was made. I would say we are 90% there now, thanks to both sets of parents and six high school kids who came over to help. The joys of being back in youth ministry!

The boys are adjusting ok. They say they aren't making friends, but I'm sure they are in some sense. The two younger boys are actually behind a little bit, but catching up quickly. And Cooper is way ahead of the curve, and doesn't know what to do with his free time in the evenings without WAVE homework. He's making a lot of rubber band bracelets. They are all three playing basketball, and while I'm not sure that's helping in the friend area, at least they are getting out and being active.
Cooper is LOVING the middle school activities at church, and Cade would rather be there too. He's not liking having to go to the children's area by himself, but he'll get there. None of us are used to getting up so early yet. Its not fun!

Jason is loving his job, but has been so busy. He was at the Passion conference this weekend and he's on a mission trip right now, so I'm looking forward to when he gets back and we can get in a true routine. I started working in childcare this morning at church, just one morning a week. I'm telling myself they are paying me to make friends. It will give me something to do for awhile, a reason to get out of the house. I'm having a hard time meeting people for sure and anything will be helpful.  But we are loving our church, worship is incredible, the current sermon series is convicting and powerful, and we love hearing so many stories about God moving in people's lives. We know that is why we are here. And even though adjusting is really hard, we know that God is holding on to us while we get back to a routine, a new routine.

Jason has his first blog on the Pinelake website if you want to read more about student ministry. http://pinelake.org/pinelake-reservoir-campus/exciting-new-day-in-student-ministry/  We are so thankful to be a part of what God is doing!



No comments:

Random parenting thoughts today

I love it when I read scripture and a short passage or even a word jumps out at me and I have to camp out there awhile. Here's the verse...