Thursday, March 06, 2014

"Marching" into Good Health

Cheesy title, I know. But its a good description of my current goal. For the month of March I am striving to make some changes to get in better health. We were obviously a little busy Jan. 1 moving when most people start with health goals. So I told myself a few weeks ago that starting March 1, I would for a month strive to be healthier. I remember seeing somewhere that if you say a date you are going to start, instead of just saying, I'll start tomorrow, you are more likely to actually start. Otherwise you just keep saying tomorrow. And I figure I can do anything for a month.

I told someone a few weeks ago that I drink entirely too much coffee and not enough water. So goal 1 is to only have my 1 cup of coffee in the morning and water the rest of the day. I'm on day 6, and that has been the hardest thing to do so far. Right now I'm craving a 2nd cup and in the afternoon, I'm having a hard time not having that cup to get through the evening. But I'm feeling better because that 2nd cup always makes me feel crummy after. I had a hard time not going into the coffee shop at our church last night, especially when I saw all the cute tiny teenage girls with their frozen coffee drinks. But I'm doing it!

Goal 2 is to walk 30 minutes 3 times a week. That has been harder this week because of the weather. I finally walked yesterday. Did you know there are hills in MS? We didn't have hills in Houston. I'm sore today. And its raining. I'll try again tomorrow.

Goal 3 is making better eating choices. I'm writing down everything I eat which helps because I don't want to write down that I ate an Oreo. I have gone 5 days without any sweets except the granola bars I eat in the afternoon but they are a pretty good sweet option.

I am hoping to lose the 5-10 pounds that I have gained over the last 6 stressful months, since half the clothes in my closet don't fit right anymore. But really its more than that. Its about my self discipline and bad habits and self control. Do I have self control to say "no" to myself? Can I really meet my goals for a month and break some bad habits so that when the month is over I don't go right back to eating a whole bag of Kit Kats in 2 days? Can I learn to pick healthy choices when we go out to eat instead of a plate of cheese covered yummy enchiladas?

Six days in I'm doing well. But next week will be the test when I go see my momma and want to eat at all my favorite places. Self control! I can do it! Luckily I don't have to do it on my own. Prayer helps too!



No comments:

Random parenting thoughts today

I love it when I read scripture and a short passage or even a word jumps out at me and I have to camp out there awhile. Here's the verse...