Sunday, May 27, 2007

Farewell to Fours

Cooper participated in Farewell to Fours last week. They sang some songs they had learned in music, including "I am a Promise", so cute. We watched a power point with pictures of all his friends, and then, the moment, his teachers gave them all a cap with a tassel. Each child's name was called and they received a Bible from our pastor. A lot of parents were tearing up, I held it in quite well I thought. I am too excited about him going to kindergarten to be sad about leaving preschool.
Later that day though, Cooper asked me how many graduations he would have in his life. We counted up 7, including kindergarten which some schools have, and graduate school (no pressure). That I did not want to think about. I am excited about kindergarten, but there's no reason to think past that right now.
We went to register him a few weeks ago. I am so thankful to the Lord for where we have moved, the schools are excellent, and He led us to a house that will put him in a wonderful elementary school. The principal went to high school with Jason (which could be really good or really bad), one of our other pastor's wives is an administrator there, and one of the kindergarten teachers is a church member. So, Ms. Kay took Cooper on a behind the scenes tour while I was filling out paperwork, introduced him to the librarian and the art teacher, and showed him where he would eat lunch, and go to music. Then we were able to go to the kindergarten "pod" and see Mrs. Kinsey, hopefully his future teacher. She told me the secret code to put on the registration sheet so she can request him. So that is a relief. Her class was marching around the room singing, and at first Cooper confidently stepped in the room like he was going to join them. Then I think the realization hit him that there were 18 children much larger then him staring as they marched. He stepped back into the protective shadow of his mother. I still have him for a little while longer. I'm trying to enjoy each day with my baby who isn't a baby anymore.

No comments:

Random parenting thoughts today

I love it when I read scripture and a short passage or even a word jumps out at me and I have to camp out there awhile. Here's the verse...