Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Snakeaphobia

Maybe someone out there will understand my nightmare come true that happened tonight. I am snakeaphobic, I don't think that is the scientific word for it, but whatever it is, I am it. I have been since I was little. Can't watch them on tv, can't look at pictures in a book, and forget the reptile house at the zoo. No way!

Well, tonight at my parent's house, who live on 5 acres, I was heading outside to start packing my car to leave in the morning, and I opened the backdoor only to find a snake lying on the door frame of the house. PRAISE GOD I looked down before stepping out!!!! I slammed the door, screamed bloody murder and preceded to run to the kitchen, jump up on the counter, and sit in the fetal position crying my eyes out. My mom figured out very quickly what I was doing, and by that time my step-dad had come out to see what the screaming was all about, and my mom told him to kill it. So out he went with a flashlight and a hoe, and I did not get off the kitchen counter until I saw him carrying it away. He said it was just a rat snake, and they both apologized profusely, and promised to take some snake barring measures before we come back in a few weeks. Needless to say, the packing of the car will wait until sunrise.

Now, here is my dilemma. I don't want to pass my fear on to my children. Cooper didn't seem to care. Just looked at me like I was crazy. But my reaction freaked Cade out a little bit. My mom tried to laugh it off so it wouldn't seem so bad, but I'm sure seeing their mom in the fetal position crying might stick with them for awhile. I have a very real fear, but how do I face it and fake it I guess, so that they don't see that? If anyone has any suggestions, let me know. And you can pray that I don't have horrific nightmares tonight.

No comments:

Random parenting thoughts today

I love it when I read scripture and a short passage or even a word jumps out at me and I have to camp out there awhile. Here's the verse...