Sunday, November 16, 2008

Baby Poop Stains!

I have struggled with three kids trying to get out baby poop stains, you know, the bright yellow stuff that explodes out the top, bottom and sides of the diapers, even the good diapers. Yes, if you just wash the item immediately, there is usually not an issue. But please, who can wash the stuff immediately. So I have been washing this one outfit over and over with stain stick trying to get out the poop. It is a really cute outfit my mom bought for Campbell, and so I wanted to pass it on to my sister-in-law in a few months, but I can't with a baby poop stain on it. So with the great invention of the internet, I searched baby poop stains, and found the answer... the sun! I thought it surely wouldn't work, but oh my goodness. All you do is wash the outfit with a stain remover, but before drying it, lay it out in the sun. And the stain magically disappears! Apparently, the yellow in the poop is the billirubin, so just like a baby with jaundice, the sun takes it away! I tried it today with four outfits, and three of them came out perfect. Amazing! The other one, the stain is now very light brown, if you weren't looking, you probably wouldn't be able to find it, but I'm going to try again tomorrow. I used the Spray-n-Wash stain stick, but apparently, the Dreft stain remover might work better. Why didn't I learn this 7 years ago!!! God's free stain remover!

5 comments:

CDJ said...

Very cool! You ought to send that to MOPS international...why has this been kept from us for so long?
(the slide show is PRECIOUS!)

ashley said...

awesome! i'm totally trying it in about 7 months:)

terri said...

Now THAT is important information. Thank you for sharing. :)
Your kiddos are too cute!

the bowlin family said...

good to know. do you think it works on spit up too!! btw, oxi clean is AMAZING at getting stains out. just fyi!!

a friend said...

Go to Home Depot and buy a bottle of ZEP brand orange citrus cleaner. It will do anything from take varnish off old wood floors to take dry blood out of a white shirt. It comes in two sizes. A squirt bottle and a concentrated gallon. I buy the gallon as I can control how strong I want it to be for the job I'm dealing with. Once you apply the Zep, scrub the stain with a toothbrush and toss in the washing machine. That should do the trick.

Random parenting thoughts today

I love it when I read scripture and a short passage or even a word jumps out at me and I have to camp out there awhile. Here's the verse...