Thursday, January 17, 2013

My babies are growing up...

Cooper went on a field trip today to visit the middle school he will attend next year. Ouch! He was telling us about seeing the band, athletics, cheerleaders, etc. Campbell said, "Did you see the clowns?" It cracked me up. I'm not sure what he thought we were talking about or why he thought there were clowns there. (Now that I think about it, we've never taken them to the circus, so I guess he wouldn't know where you see clowns.) Anyway, I've had a rough day today thinking about him moving on. Campbell is finishing his last semester in preschool, but that isn't hitting me as hard as thinking about my first born heading to middle school. I'm so excited for him and so scared for him at the same time. He just turned 11! My time with him is already half over. And it has flown by.

I am not fooling myself into thinking that I will be just fine when my baby does leave preschool in May. I may seem fine during the "Farewell to Fours" program, but as soon as that video montage plays with the sappy music behind it I will be a mess I'm sure. And hopefully I will hold it together the first day of school when I drop a 6th grader, 4th grader and kindergartener off, at least until I drive away. Deep breaths! Enjoy each moment I have left with them. As I type this, they are in other room, wrestling, pretending to be some kind of growling monster. The growling, screaming and yelling is intertwined with a crying 4 year old who can't keep up, but keeps it together and goes back in for another round. They are supposed to be doing chores, but the fact that they are all three playing together makes me want to give them a few minutes together. Last night they were supposed to be taking showers, but they asked me to watch a show with them, and I thought that was more important (only because they hadn't played any sports that day, so they weren't stinky). I am really trying to stay with my new years goals of taking each moment on its own and not planning so far ahead. I really want them to have memories of a fun home, not one where their momma was chasing them around the house with a list of chores. I'll give them five more minutes to play. It will fly by.


No comments:

Random parenting thoughts today

I love it when I read scripture and a short passage or even a word jumps out at me and I have to camp out there awhile. Here's the verse...