Saturday, February 02, 2013

Names

The other day I was texting with someone and they texted back "Thank you Christy" and just seeing my name in print for some reason put a smile on my face. Just the thought that the person took the 5 extra seconds to type out my name meant something. I've noticed recently that in novels and on television shows, writers use characters names more often then people do in real life, sometimes almost too much. "Yes, Mr. Gibbs, I did see that... Special Agent Gibbs, I am sorry." (Yes, NCIS is my favorite show). And in novels I guess they need to use names more often so you don't lose track of who is talking since you can't see the person.

One of my major faults is that I am horrible at remembering people's names. Its really bad when you are married to a pastor who is great at remembering people's names. People at church know me, know my name or at least that I am Jason's wife, and I know I should know their name, but it is long gone in my brain. I have to make a face at Jason or whisper behind a person's back to ask him what their name is. I hate it. Its a gift that he has. I think he's used to helping me now, but I know it irritates him sometimes. Especially when I ask him the same person's name over and over.

When I was a little girl, the pastor at my grandparents church always amazed me by remembering my name, even when I didn't see him for years. He knew my name, and would ask about my parents and grandparents. I saw him when I was in college when I was a summer missionary in another state where he had moved, and just to have someone remember my name when I was in a strange place with people I didn't know, was so comforting. He probably would remember my name if I saw him today.

The one place that I somehow am decent at remembering names is in the preschool area of my church. I can remember those first names of those sweet faces pretty quickly and was trained many times to get down on their level and use their name to make them feel safe, secure and loved. Names are important.

Nothing makes me smile more then when my hubby uses my name. He rarely does, so to hear the man I love say my name, just gives me a flutter like it did when we were dating. It makes me feel special and cared for and loved.

I encourage you this week to use people's names more often. Try it. Just the other day while talking on the phone with my bank, I asked the lady at the end of the call what her name was and I said "Thank you Flora for helping me". I still remember her name days later, so maybe that is the trick, to say their name more often. Its important for me to try to get better at it so I can do something to make other people feel special too.



No comments:

Random parenting thoughts today

I love it when I read scripture and a short passage or even a word jumps out at me and I have to camp out there awhile. Here's the verse...