Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Delicious Poison

 
I am allergic to corn. Not like deathly, but it does affect me pretty noticeably when I eat it. I found out when Cooper was a baby and we had him tested. It had been many years since I had been allergy tested, so I put myself through that to see if that was causing some of my health problems. Corn was one of four foods I am allergic to, but its the most difficult to deal with. I LOVE tortilla chips with hot sauce, especially at Chili's. I lost 5 pounds immediately when I cut out all the junk food with corn syrup in it. I don't eat kernel corn anymore and don't really miss it. But I do miss corn on the cob. There's something southern and comforting about eating corn on the cob with butter and those little yellow corn shaped sticks stuck in the ends. Yum.

I made corn on the cob for the men the other night and abstained... until I was cleaning up after dinner and Campbell's ear still had half of the corn left on it. I ate one bite just to see if I had cooked it correctly. And then preceded to finish it. With each bite I was having an internal struggle. "Oh my gosh, this is so good! I forgot how sweet and yummy corn on the cob is. Stop Christy. Its poison to your body. You are going to pay for this tomorrow." On and on as I finished off the corn and threw the beautiful empty cob into the trashcan.

I woke up the next morning with my right hand on fire. I have eczema and the worst spot is my hand. I know I have been eating the wrong things and am stressed when it flares up. As my hand was burning and I was needing some serious self control to not scratch I had to admit I did it to myself. No one else to blame it on but me. It wasn't Campbell's fault for not finishing it. All me. And I was hit with a spiritual comparison.

That decision I made to eat the corn despite knowing what the consequences were, was a direct in my face bad choice. But how many times do I make those types of decisions daily with less direct things. Sometimes I make those choices so fast I don't even realize its a choice. Do I gossip about that friend, even just a quick remark? Do I watch that show that is either bad for me to watch or simply a waste of my time? Do I lose my patience with my kids? They deserve it, its their fault. No, its not their fault how I choose to respond. Do I ignore that person even though God is clearly telling me to say hello and ask about their day? Do I complain about something that is out of my control or have a positive contented attitude about it? So many choices I make daily. Am I choosing to put that poison in my body because at face value its a beautiful delicious thing, even good to some people, but not so good for me.

1 John 2:15-17 "Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life—is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever."

I know God made corn, but for me its a desire of the flesh. A wonderfully delicious desire of the flesh that is not good for me. Make a good choice!




No comments:

Random parenting thoughts today

I love it when I read scripture and a short passage or even a word jumps out at me and I have to camp out there awhile. Here's the verse...