Wednesday, April 17, 2013

New Recipes that Worked!

I have tried four new recipes off of Pinterest the past two weeks. J wishes I would just stick with what I know, but I get so bored sometimes. But three of the recipes made it into my cookbook. One of them was a really big hit, two of us went back for seconds! Yipee! Here they are!

Chicken Spaghetti:

  • 8 ounces angel hair pasta
  • 2 cups chopped, grilled chicken or 1 large can of chicken (I used canned)
  • 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) cream of mushroom soup (98% fat free or regular)
  • 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) cream of chicken soup (98% fat free or regular)
  • 1 can (10 ounces) Rotel diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
  • 8 ounces sour cream
  • Sprinkling of Parmesan or Mexican-blend cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
 
Boil pasta as package directs and drain. Mix all other ingredients (except cheese), add to cooked pasta and put in a 9" x 13" baking dish. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Sprinkle with your choice of cheese and return to oven to melt.
 
 
 
Crockpot Chicken Tacos
Recipe from
Tasty Kitchen

Serves: ~12 people

1 Envelope Taco Seasoning (I use Old El Paso Reduced Sodium)
6 Pieces Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
1 16-ounce jar Salsa (I switch between brands, but Newman's Own or Pace are my favorites)

Dump everything into a crock pot and give it a little stir to blend the seasoning with the salsa. You do not need to add any water to the taco seasoning. Cook on high for 4 to 6 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours. When done, the chicken should shred easily when stirred with a fork.

For tacos, serve the chicken with soft flour tortillas, guacamole, lettuce, shredded cheese and/or sour cream. This is very versatile and can be used for enchiladas, nachos, tostadas, quesadillas, etc. Any leftover chicken can then be used for tortilla soup (make it the next day or freeze the chicken to use at a later time).


I halved the recipe for us and still had some chicken left over for the next day and froze some to use in soup later.



And the best one from last night! This is so easy and flexible, no measuring utensils needed and made in one pan!

Chicken Parmesan Casserole
  • chicken breasts (however many you want/need, I did 4)
  • olive oil (just one dollop, I drizzled a little all over)
  • minced garlic (a smattering…a little more than a smattering if you really like garlic)
  • red pepper flakes (leave these out if you don’t like any heat)
  • marinara sauce (I used one jar)
  • parmesan cheese
  • mozzarella cheese (you will need twice as much mozzarella as Parmesan)
  • croutons (I used bread crumbs because that's what I had)

  • I cut the chicken in to three chunks, but you could leave them whole or cut them into bite size pieces. I drizzles olive oil, a few dollops of minced garlic, sprinkle of red pepper flakes and then pour over the marinara sauce. Spread mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese over the top 2 to 1 ratio. But I had an Italian cheese mix and just used it. Then I sprinkled bread crumbs over that and then more cheese. I will try to use croutons crushed up next time to add more crunch. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. I served it over angel hair pasta with green beans. All the men loved it, except the one who won't eat anything. But when they go back for seconds, that is a victory for me!





    No comments:

    Random parenting thoughts today

    I love it when I read scripture and a short passage or even a word jumps out at me and I have to camp out there awhile. Here's the verse...