Sunday, June 09, 2013

"Big Church"

For those of you who have more than one child, do you forget between the first and second and now third how you did some parenting skill with the others and its almost like starting over? I can not remember for sure how old my older two were when I first starting bringing them to "big church". I think it was sometime during pre-K. I am sure I brought Cooper pretty early because he's always been the perfect quiet child. And I think I probably waited awhile longer to bring Cade because he has not always been the perfect quiet child. And for those of you who don't know me, know that I have been going to worship by myself with my kids since we came to UBC. Hubby is a pastor and is always somewhere teaching or making connections, etc. So its just me and for the last 4 years a child on either side of me.

Well, here comes child three, who again, is not known to be perfect and quiet. Out of my three, he is the least quiet and perfect so I was planning on putting off bringing him to big church until the fall when he started kindergarten. But about a month ago, he asked me one Sunday morning if he could come with us. I couldn't say no. Jason and I believe you should train your children how to behave in church, they should see by example how to worship, and even if they are doing something else, that hearing God's word is priceless.  So here I go into "big church" with one of me and three of them.

The first challenge was the seating arrangement. Where? After we had sat down in our usual area on the left side, half way down on the floor, I remembered that when child two joined us, we moved to the balcony for awhile away from people. But we were already seated, so we'll take a risk. Then, which brother do I put him with? Middle brother, who is more compassionate and caring, says "please let him sit by me. I'll help." Not a good plan because they have way too much fun together.

So here we are a month later and we haven't looked back. He's been in church with us ever since and he's been doing really well! I've only had to take him out one time. He sits between me and oldest brother and that seems to be the best fit. During worship, he stands in the aisle so he can see but during the sermon, he either sits quietly like he did today, or I draw him dot to dot words that he can practice writing on. I don't think we've made it through the whole hour and a half without needing to go to the bathroom, but that's what big brothers are for. I'm am pleasantly surprised and proud of how my little one is growing up so big and making the transitions on his own time and so smoothly. Maybe God knew I needed that since I'm doing it on my own. What a blessing!



No comments:

Random parenting thoughts today

I love it when I read scripture and a short passage or even a word jumps out at me and I have to camp out there awhile. Here's the verse...