Friday, October 03, 2008

Cereal

I realized last night at 4 am when I was nursing, that Cooper had a bowl of cereal before he went to bed. "So what?" you might be saying. Well, if memory serves me right, that was his first bowl of cereal, and yes, he's six. We found out about his extensive food allergies when he was 14 months old, and at the time, he was allergic to every grain except the strange ones you can only get at health food stores, and at the time, they didn't make kid cereals out of the strange grains he could eat. So no cereal. I remember giving him a bowl of cereal when he was two, and I can remember the look on his face, as if to say to me, "why Mommy, would you ruin perfectly good milk by pouring on that stuff, and expecting me to eat it?" So no cereal. Then Cade was born who has no food allergies (how does that happen) and when he started eating cheerios like all good babies do, Cooper would gag at the smell of them and tell me to get them away from him. Cade starting eating bowls of cereal with milk when he was old enough, for a few months, and then he realized big brother wasn't eating it, and that was the end of that. He loves dry cereal, but not in a bowl with milk. Well, I have gotten really into eating Cinnamon Toast Crunch, because its lower on sugar than most sweet cereals and its made with wheat, not oat or corn which I am allergic to. And Cooper decided he likes it, and last night when he got home from baseball and soccer practice, asked me for a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch with milk, and scarfed it down. And it didn't dawn on me until 4 in the morning, that I think that was his first bowl of cereal with milk. A major milestone!

No comments:

Random parenting thoughts today

I love it when I read scripture and a short passage or even a word jumps out at me and I have to camp out there awhile. Here's the verse...