Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Who would want to read about me?


As I said yesterday, I am an avid reader. One summer I got really into biographies. I went to the library today and got one about Laura Bush that I'm excited to start. But I noticed a few things that summer about that section of the library. One, there are so many biographies about people that I can't imagine anyone would want to read about. (ex. Tom Arnold) Two, there are so many books about people in their twenties. (ex. Paris Hilton, and that's an autobiography no less.) How much life could you have lived already that would make people want to read about you? Three, who tells certain people (Paris Hilton) that people out there really want to read their story? That's like the bad singers on American Idol. Some person told them they could really sing when they can't! Somebody told her she should write her story, and then some publisher actually published it. Boggles my mind. Four, there are lots of books about the same person. How many different ways are there to tell the same story? And five, you shouldn't read books about people you highly admire or you might be disappointed. I read one about Julie Andrews, expecting her to be Mary Poppins. No ma'am. She is foul-mouthed, and a little loose.

So that makes me wonder as I try to blog each day this week, who would want to read about me or my mundane life? Well, my mom for one. But I think that's it. I'm leading a discussion in WBS (weekend Bible study as opposed to Sunday School) on "One Month to Live" by Kerry and Chris Shook. One question that popped out to me this week was what is something that is wasting your time you could be using for more productive, important to your life things. I used to say tv, but I have cut tv way back. But I realized I have filled that time with facebook. I do think it has led me to reconnect with old friends and have a way to reach out to some new ones, but I do waste way too much time with it. So to change that a little, I am going to focus more on my blog. At least then, maybe I'll be writing something that might influence someone to think about their life. Or encourage someone with something I have already learned. Or make a mom feel better that she is not alone in her struggles with neverending laundry. So I don't know who would want to read this, and I'm certainly not saying that my life is worth reading about. But it might be more helpful then reading an autobiography by Paris Hilton.

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

WOW! Love it...yep I read them all. I think you have many topics of interest to others who are experiencing the same life trials you are at this time. It is a way to share what God is up to in your life and give others hope...keep it up! MOM

Random parenting thoughts today

I love it when I read scripture and a short passage or even a word jumps out at me and I have to camp out there awhile. Here's the verse...