Tuesday, August 30, 2011

My favorite thing about our trip...

Everyone asks if we had a good time on our European adventure, of course we did, and then asks what our favorite part was. I like when someone asks me separate from J and I answer, and they say that he said the same thing. Our favorite thing wasn't a tourist site, although most were amazing, or a church, although again, amazing. Our favorite part was just making connections with people. Our favorite memory is playing cards with Trey and Randi, walking along the river cracking jokes, having ice cream at a park, or going to the grocery store with them. We love that we have some inside jokes that no one else will think are funny. We loved having an English light supper with our London friends, or hanging out at the pub after church. We loved our conversations sitting around on a Sunday afternoon by a pool at a BBQ, or just having a sweet talk over a cup of coffee. I loved talking over some deep issues with my hubby over a cheap McDonald's meal and talking about our kids over a cup of gelato.

All of that goes to show you that the most important parts of life can happen wherever you are. I don't have to go across the ocean and spend money on airlines or hotels. But living day to day life and trying to get those connections in takes a lot of work. You have to be intentional, schedule it sometimes, or it won't happen. Life gets busy and the unimportant parts take over. That's the good part about vacations, the unimportant busy parts aren't there to distract you. God talked a lot to me about being intentional about life. Its good I'm blogging about it to remind myself of those lessons because the business of life has already crept back in. Its a goal at least. Anyone want to go for coffee?

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." Proverbs 27:17
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." Proverbs 16:24

No comments:

Random parenting thoughts today

I love it when I read scripture and a short passage or even a word jumps out at me and I have to camp out there awhile. Here's the verse...