Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Choosing the Right Path

I just walked for the first time in a few weeks. I haven't felt well, and walking when you feel like you have 50 lbs on your chest isn't a fun idea. But today I walked, not fast, but I walked. I came upon a fork in the sidewalk and realized that if I took the left choice, it would add on 10 minutes to my walk, and today I took that way. I then saw how many forks there were in the sidewalk, and opportunity each time to make the walk longer, harder and more time consuming, yet a way to push myself harder. How much longer would my walk be if I took the longer path each time? I didn't try that today, but maybe someday.

I was thinking about my new lifestyle of healthier living and how really each day I am given a fork in the road, a choice to make. Do I eat these chocolate chip cookies I'm making for my boys, or take the harder, yet healthier path, and refrain. Do I stop by Sonic and grab a hamburger because I'm in a hurry, or wait 20 minutes until I get home and eat something better for me. One path is easier, and maybe not even a bad path, just not the best.

Lord, help me today to see each decision I need to make as a path in the road, and take a minute to decide which path is the best for me, even if its not the most enjoyable one. Thank you for a minute of clarity on my walk this morning. Thank you for your beautiful creation and worship I enjoyed this morning. Amen.

Psalm 23:3 he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake.

Psalm 119:35 Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I find delight

Proverbs 4:26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.

No comments:

Random parenting thoughts today

I love it when I read scripture and a short passage or even a word jumps out at me and I have to camp out there awhile. Here's the verse...