Sunday, October 02, 2011

Waiting

I was reading some scriptures the other day about waiting on the Lord and started thinking about all the things we have to wait for in life. There are the minor things, like waiting in line at the drive through, in line at the grocery store, waiting for that guy to call, waiting for bedtime, waiting for the cookies to be done. There are the middle ground things, like waiting on a ACT test result, waiting on him to propose, waiting for a vacation to arrive, waiting for your husband to get home from a long trip. And then there are the major things, like waiting on a lab result, waiting on a loved one to pass away, waiting to get pregnant, waiting for the baby to be born, waiting for a college acceptance letter. Lots of opportunities to wait.

I was thinking about how most of the things we wait for are out of our control. We feel like we are waiting on a person to do what they have to do so we can get our results. Or are we are waiting on the hand of God. These are some of the verses I was reading.

Psalm 5:3 In the morning, LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly.

Psalm 27:14 Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.

Psalm 33:20 We wait in hope for the LORD; he is our help and our shield.

Psalm 37:7 Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him; do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes.

Psalm 130:5 I wait for the LORD, my whole being waits, and in his word I put my hope.

Psalm 130:6 I wait for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the morning, more than watchmen wait for the morning.

Isaiah 26:8 Yes, LORD, walking in the way of your laws, we wait for you; your name and renown are the desire of our hearts.

Isaiah 30:18 Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; therefore he will rise up to show you compassion. For the LORD is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him!

These are only some of them! I know if you read the context, some of the verses are referring to us waiting on the Lord to return, but most are just waiting on Him to move in some way. And I realized most of those things listed above that we wait on, we really aren't waiting on a person. We are waiting on the Lord. If He wanted us to have the result sooner, He could have that person move faster. The timing of getting married and having children, when we trust Him, that is entirely in His timing. Waiting on getting test results or getting job interviews or college acceptance letters, I am believing that those things are in His hands too. We aren't really waiting for people, we are waiting for Him to allow those people to do what they need to do. I don't know if this makes any sense. I just had joy when realizing that nothing that comes to me hasn't already come through His hands first. His timing is perfect, even when I am impatient. I can wait on things expectantly, with hope, patience, strength and desiring for His name to be renown.

No comments:

Random parenting thoughts today

I love it when I read scripture and a short passage or even a word jumps out at me and I have to camp out there awhile. Here's the verse...