Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Portion Control

The Israelites living in the desert learned about portion control as God provided only enough manna for each day, with a double portion before the Sabbath. They had to completely depend on Him for what they needed, not wanted.

"Each day God can be the perfect portion of everything we need - every longing we have, every desperate desire our souls cry out for. God will be our portion." Lysa TerKeurst, Made to Crave, page 132.

When my kids are driving me crazy, instead of eating chocolate, I can ask God for a portion of His strength to get me through the day. And He never runs out!

"Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.” Lamentations 3:22-24 (yes, He showed me that verse two weeks ago, don't you love it when He does that.)

Lord, when I am tired, lonely, stressed or impatient, please help me to turn to you to be my portion and my strength.

"Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalm 73:25,26

NIV Study Bible notes, "Since the Psalmist was a Levite, the Lord was his portion in the promised land in that he lived by the people's tithes dedicated to the Lord. Here he confesses more: the Lord Himself is his sustainer, his preserver - his very life."

Lord, help me learn more about your portion control, that you can provide all I need, not necessarily want, when I depend on you for help. Help me to think about why I want to eat, or watch tv, or shop or nap or even facebook. I know that its usually because I'm lonely or stressed, and I turn to those things instead of you, instead of the portion of strength and power you want to give me. Thank you for always being there for me, being patient with me and always being faithful to your promises! Amen!

No comments:

Random parenting thoughts today

I love it when I read scripture and a short passage or even a word jumps out at me and I have to camp out there awhile. Here's the verse...